New Sargasso Sea story!

Not a lot of people write Hodgsonian stories.  There’s an endless amount of writers who pen Lovecraftian stories.  In fact, anthologies of such stories appear at such a fast rate that I can barely keep up with them.  And yet, not many write what we could call “Hodgsonian” stories.  Today, I’m happy to present an example of a new story set in Hodgson’s universe.  This tale, written by John B. Ford, recaptures the feel of Hodgson’s Sargasso Sea and the overwhelming hopelessness of those it claims as victims.  I hope you enjoy it!

If there’s anyone to blame or praise for my involvement in the small press, then it’s William Hope Hodgson. When I first read his novel THE BOATS OF THE “GLEN CARRIG” back in the late 80’s, I was at once in awe of his extraordinary visual and atmospheric talent. The first quarter of that novel, as Lovecraft once quite rightly stated, is unsurpassed in its quality of brooding menace. Suffice to say that I went on to read every story and novel of Hodgson’s I could get my hands on, and I became such a fanatic that I then attempted to emulate my hero. ‘The Cemetery of the Ocean’ was the first story I ever had printed in the UK small press, and was published in January 1996 in the Doppelganger Broadsheet. At the time I was hungry for more Sargasso tales and since I’d read all of Hodgson’s I decided to explore that weed infested sea of lurking horrors with my own imagination.–John B. Ford

The Cemetery of the Ocean

Now  for  three  days  the  stormwinds  had  carried  us  into  the  strange  areas  of  the  ocean,  hitherto  uncharted.  But  with  the  dawning  of  the  fourth  day,  I  heard  the  look-out  hail  to  Captain  Johnson: “Land  spotted  to  westward,  sir!”  With  this,  I  gazed  out  far  upon  the  larboard  bow,  and  over  all  the  horizon  I  saw  a  distinct  brown  mass,  curiously  intermingled  with  stretches  of  green.  Yet  still  the  wind  had  a  great  force, so  that  it  carried  us most rapid  in  this  direction,  and so were  the  crew  cheered  somewhat,  for  there  had  been  much  foolish  talk  that  these  waters  were  unholy,  and  cursed  by   the  devil.

As  the  Sea  Witch  continued  on  this  heading,  I  saw  that  the  First  Mate  held  a  look  of  bewilderment,  and  that  ever  and  anon  he  would  scan  the  horizon  with  his  glasses.  In  a  little,  Captain  Johnson  joined  him,  and  it  came  to  me  then,  as  something  was  notably  wrong,  for  their  lowered  tones  held  an  obvious  concern.  Only  some  short  while  later  their  concerns  became  clear  to  me,  for  we  came  upon  not  land,  but  a  sombre  flatness  of  slime  and  weed  which  dominated  the  sea  all  about.  With  this,  every  man  in  the  crew  became  quiet  and  melancholy,  for  as  we  cut  further  into  that  sea  of  dread  isolation,  we  came  to  a  realisation  that  fate  had  brought  us  unto  that  vast  Cemetery  of  the  Ocean  —  the  Sargasso  Sea.

Now,  in  the  evening  time  the  wind  dropped  almost  as  suddenly  as  it  had  arrived,  and  soon  afterwards,  with  the  falling  of  night,  there  descended  an  unnatural  silence  and  sense  of  lonesomeness  such  as  chilled  the  heart  of  every  man.  Before  the  darkness  had  completely  enshrouded  us,  the  Captain  told  Jake  (the  eldest  ‘prentice)  and  two  others,  to  hang  lanterns  from  the  rigging;  and  this  we  judged  a  very  sound  action,  for  many  times  we  had  heard  tales  of  “Things”  that  dwelt  within  the  weed.

And  so  it  came  on  to  be  approaching  midnight,  and  with  this  I  was  wakened  by  Williams  (a  fellow  A.B.)  for  my  duty  on  the  second  watch.  For  some  while  I  stayed  aft  with  Jenkins,  and  the  weirdness  of  the  night  seemed   to  pervade  us,  so  that  we  ever  spoke  only  in  low  tones;  almost  as  though  afraid  to  break  the  constant  eerie  silence  all  about  us.  After  a  while  I  lit  a   bull’s-eye  lantern  and  made  to  walk  the  decks  with  it.  With  this  task  completed,  I  walked  to  the  fo’cas’le  head  rails,  choosing  to  lean  on  them  and  contemplate  the  night  for  a  while.  Gazing  out  over  the  weed  as  far  as  the  moonlit  night  would  allow,  the  dreadful  solemnness  of  the  place  began  to  touch  my  mind.  In  my  head  grew  thoughts  of  all  the  dead  this  place  had  claimed  in  the  years  of  the  past,   so   that  I  was  ever  haunted  by  imagined  presences  and  spirits  of  the  night.  Now,  in   the  following  seconds it  seemed  that  my  frightful  thoughts  had  taken  on  a  life  of  their  own.  For  suddenly  travelling  through  the  awful  silence  came  a  long  drawn-out  moaning  sound,  and  in  my  youthful  mind  there  came  the  nightmare  vision  of  some  long-dead  Thing  crying  out  plaintively  in  the  dark.  Suddenly I  remembered  my  duties  and  lifted  the  night-glasses  to  my  eyes,  straightway  witnessing  a  group  of  eerie  green  lights  that  moved  rapidly  across  the  surface  of  the  weed.  At  that,  I  followed  them  with  the  glasses,  but  soon  they  vanished  behind  a  veil  of  darkness.   Shortly  after  this  the  moaning  sound  recommenced,  but  this  time  holding  a  quality  of  fear  and  agony,  and  causing  me  to  shudder  deeply.

Soon  Captain  Johnson  and  the  First  Mate  had  taken  to  the  decks.

“What’s  going  on,  Holton?” asked the ‘Old Man’,  his  eyes  shrewdly  searching  the  night  for  any  sign  of  ought  untoward.

“There’s something not right out there, sir!”  I said.  “It  looked  like a host of  emerald  lights  were  skimming  over  the  surface  of  the  sea.”   And  this  was  how  best  I  could  explain  to  the  Captain  what  I  had  witnessed,  but  he  made  no  reply  and  only  looked  very  grave.

“Blast  our  luck  for  ending  up  in  this  damned  place,” answered  the  First  Mate,  “the  only  sure  thing  is  that  what  you  saw  was  nothing  holy.”

Soon  afterwards,  Captain  Johnson  announced  to  the  crew  that  every  ‘dog  watch’  would  be  doubled,  and  so  it  was,  that  I  spent  the  rest  of  my  watch  in  the  company  of  Jake.  Most  of  this  time was  spent  in  quietness,  except  for  once  when  Jake  said  he  heard  something  slithering  close  by  us  upon  the  weeds,  but  myself  I  heard  nothing.

After  completing  my  ‘timekeeping’,  I  then  went  below  to  my  bunk. The  remainder  of  the  night  was  uneventful  for  me  (for  I  am  a  slave  to  sleep)  but  I  was  told  by  Masson  (the  Second  Mate)  that  there  had  been  further  happenings.  It  seemed  that  during  the  last  watch  before  daybreak,  many  of  the  green  lights  had  been  spotted  heading  in  direction  straight  for  the  Sea Witch,  but  before  the  look-outs  had  any  time  to  raise  an  alarm,  the  lights  had  simultaneously  disappeared  from  view.  A  short  while  later  the  vessel  had  been  rocked  twice,  violently  from  beneath,  but  then  had  come  sunrise  and  an  end  to  the  queer  events  of  the  night.

Next  morning,  we  broke  our  fast  upon  the  main-deck,  while  Captain  Johnson  spoke  to  us  with  urgency.  And  as  he  spoke,  it  transpired  he  had  ascertained  the  Sea  Witch  was  now  stuck  fast  within  the  weed,  and  had  no  chance  of  escape  without  the  arrival  of  another  great  gale.  Still,  he  spoke  with  much  optimism,  mentioning  we  had  food  and  water  enough  for  two  months,  and  by  this  time  a  storm  would  surely  come  to  free  us.  But  beneath  his  front  I  recognised  a  clever  man  who  sought  to  quell  the  growing  panic  of  the  crew.

To  end  his  short  speech,  he  mentioned  the  possibility  of  a  small  rowboat  being  able  to  cut  through  the  weed,  and  asked  for  two  volunteers  willing  to  make  a  try  for  open  waters,  thus  alerting  the  world  to  the  fate  of  the  Sea  Witch.  Of  the  crew,  four  of  us  raised  our  hands,  and  one  of  them  being  Masson,  (the  Second  Mate)  he  was  asked  who  he  would  like  to  accompany  him.  With  this,  I  was  selected,  for  I  was young and  strong  and  my  skill  at  the  oars  known  to  all.  So  we  loaded  the  rowboat  with  canisters  of  water,  a  case  of  dried  fruit,  and  an  ample  supply   of  ship’s  biscuit.

The  boat  was  lowered,  and  then  we  set  off,  moving  arduously  through  the  weed;  our  oars  making  continual  sogging  sounds  as  we  lifted  them  from  the  choked  surface  of  the  sea.  After  what  seemed  like  hours  of  rowing,  we  stopped  to  rest  for  a  while,  our  arms  aching  sorely  with  the  effort  required.  It  was  then  for  the  first  time  that  I  felt  a  sense  of  alienation  and  vulnerability  like  I  had  never  before  known,  and  looking  back  towards  the  horizon,  a  chord  of  fear  struck  deep  within  me,  for  I  saw  that  distance  had  now  taken  the  Sea  Witch  beyond  our  sight.  It  came  to  me  then  how  easy  it  would  be  to  lose  our  direction  in  this  sea  of  lurking  horrors.

As  the  hours  of  back-breaking  rowing  passed  on,   the  darkness  slowly  began to  gather about us  once  more.  Suddenly  Masson  cried  out  to  me  that  he  could  see  the  outline  of  a  small  island  in  the  weed.  I  looked  over  my  shoulder  into  the  fast  growing  gloom,  but  being  unable  to  make  out  anything  except  a  small  land  mass  and  occasional  dark  shadowy  shapes,  I  picked  up  the  beam  torch  and  aimed  its  light  outwards  in  a  wide  sweeping  arch.  Immediately  our  ears  became  filled  by  the  inhuman  moaning  sound  of  the  previous  night.  But  what  could  have  caused  it?  In  the  torchlight  I  had  seen  only  failing  vegetation  in  the  shape  of  stunted  trees  and  bushes.  Again  I  swept  the  light  over  the  island,  but  this  time  something  made  me  focus  upon  one  of  the  trees.  With  this  sight  I  gasped  in  horror,  for  contained  within  the  trunk  was  the  pallid  white  flesh  of  a  deformed  human  face;  its  mouth  opened  wide  as  it  joined  in  a  chorus  of  sorrowful,  tortured  moans.

For  a  moment  I  froze  in  a  state  of  unbelieving  shock,  but  in  the  next  instant  Masson  knocked  the  torch  from  my  grip,  quickly  turning  it  off. In  hushed  tones  he  told  me  to  look  towards  the  horizon,  and  there  I  saw  masses  of  the  green  lights  I  had  witnessed  the  night  before.  The  lights  appeared  to  skim  over  the  surface  of  the  sea,  and  suddenly  a  great  fear  took  us,  for  we  saw  they  grew  in  size,  and  so  therefore  moved  rapidly  in  our  direction.

“Perhaps they’re those corposant lights people talk about, sir?” I asked, trying my best to keep any sign of fear from telling in my voice.

“Whatever it is, lad, it’s nothing I’ve ever seen before, and we need to get ourselves into a new position pretty sharpish!”

Quickly  we  took  up  the  oars  and  began  to  head  for  a  position  behind  the  island,  but  it  was  only  a  few  strokes  later  when  Masson  told  me  to  cease  rowing  and  remain  still  for  the  sake  of  my  life.  Almost  paralysed  by  fear,  we  watched  as  the  lights  grew  ever  nearer,  and  soon  it  was  when  the  full  extent  of  horror  was  revealed  to  us.  For  suddenly  the  ‘trees’  of  the  island  no longer  moaned,  but  screamed  aloud  with  cries  of  pain  and  terror.  We  looked  closely,  and  in  the  moonlight  saw  the  phosphorescent  green  bodies  of  an  army  of  giant  sea  lizards  that  swarmed  the  island.  I  watched  in  horror  as  their  giant  jaws  closed  around  the  trunks  of  the  trees,  and  listened  as  the  screams  of  pain  turned  to  gurgled  chokes  of  death.  And  in  all  this  time  we  did  not  move  a  muscle,  but  only  looked  on  in  horror  at  the  great  savagery  of  the  lizards.

Now,  when  the  slaughter  was  at  last  over,  it  was  with  relief  that  I  saw  the  lizards  slipping  back  into  the  weed-covered  sea  and  heading  back  in  the  direction  from  whence  they  came.  But  still  there  remained  with  us  a  feeling  of  unease;  and  so  we  rowed  away  from  the  island  deep  into  the  night,  for  there  had  been  something  about  the  whole  affair  which  greatly  haunted  the  mind.

As  we  rowed,  we  began  to  find  it  increasingly  hard  work;  it  seemed  the  weed  thickened  about  us  the  further  we  ventured  outwards  towards  open  waters.  And  so,  being  in  a  wearied  state,  we  settled  down  to  two  or  three  hours  sleep  before  dawn.  But  even  in  those  few  hours  of  rest  our  sleep  came  to  be  disturbed,  for  at  times  we  heard  movement  amongst  the  weed,  and  aiming  the  beam  torch  outwards,  saw  the  sight  of  a  great  devil-fish  framed  within  the  light.  At  that,  we  killed  the  light  and  in  a  state  of  great  fear  rowed  to  a  new  position,  for  the  thing  could  have  brought  us  to  a  watery  grave  with  one  blow  from  its  mighty  tentacles.

With  the  first  light  of  day  we  commenced  rowing  again,  and  in  a solemn,  misty  sunrise  we  occasionally  saw  the  dark  and  shadowy  outlines  of  derelicts;  ships  that  had  long  lain  immobile  within  the  weed.  And  even  in  this  poor  light  it was  possible  to  tell  that  these  ships  were  of  a  great  age,  so  that  it  was  a  solemn  thought  to  think  of  all  the  lonesome  years  that  time  had  passed  over  them,  and very  sombre was I when I  thought  of  the  crews   that  could  have  done  nothing  save  await  their  own  deaths.

As  the  day  wore  on,  the  mist  quickly   burnt  up  and  an  oppressive  heat  came  down  from  the  sun  of  a  clear  blue  sky.  The  air  seemed  to  have  about  it  a  hard-to-breathe  quality,  and  I  became  concerned  about  Masson,  who  was  now  struggling  greatly  with  the  rowing  and  taking  water  much  too  quickly.  Sometime  later  I  noticed  another derelict,  and  the  sight  of  this  one  filled  me  with  much  interest,  for  it  was  of  a  modern  type.  Seeing  it  would  be  of  no  great  departure,  we  decided  at  once  to  head  towards  it,  as  we  badly  needed  rest  and  shelter  from  the  sun.

Pulling  the  boat  alongside,  I  noticed  a  green  growth  of  fungi  which  had  begun  to  grow  on  the  hull,  but  still  this  did  not  prevent  me  from  reading  the  name  of  the  vessel,  and  with  a  great  excitement  I  read  the  name  Vanity  Fair.  The  Vanity  Fair  had  gone  missing  six  months  earlier,  and  everyone  had  thought  her  to  be  a  victim  of  the  storms  of  the  Atlantic,  but  here  she  was  in  the  Sargasso.  Could  anyone  still  remain  alive?  We  boarded  by  way  of  a  rope  ladder  which  hung  down  loose  over  the  side,  and  as  we  gained  the  decks  I  shouted  loudly  to  attract  any  sign  of  life,  but  no  reply  came  to  meet  us.

It  was  as  we  walked  the  main-deck  that  the  stench  first  came  to  us  —  the  stench  of  decay.  We  came  to  the  area  of  the  cargo hold,  and  saw  that  the  sliding  double doors  had  been  smashed  right  through.  Looking  downwards,  I  saw  the  worst  sight  of  my   life.  The  crew  had  obviously  been  under  attack  from  some  nameless  horror  of  the  weed,  and  had  wrongly  chosen  the  cargo  hold  as  the  safest  place  of  refuge.  The  bodies  of  the  men  covered  the  entire  area  of  the  floor;  the  flesh  had  mostly  been  ripped  from  every  man, but  their skulls still  appeared  frozen  in  a  state  of  agonised,  silent  screams.  We  could  stay  on  board  no  longer,  better  at  least  to  die  in  the  effort  of  escape  than  to  await  the  fate  of  these  men.


It  is  three  days  now  since  we  left  the  Vanity  Fair.  I  sit  here  writing  this  account,  although  I  know  it  will  probably  never  be  read.  Masson  is  now  unconscious  and  I  cannot  revive  him.  The  sun  continues  to  blaze  down  and  our  water  supply  is very low.  The  weed  is  now  too  thick  to  row  through.  All  I  can  do  now  is  hope…  hope  and  pray!

William  Holton, 1877.


                                                                  July  18th  1877.

After  the  storm,  a  small  rowboat  was  sighted  by  the  look-out.  Aboard  were  found  two  men,  one  long-dead  and  the  other  a  youth  of   nineteen   in  a  state  of  high  delirium.  The  survivor  has  now  taken  water  and  was  able  to  inform  us  that  both  men  were  of  the  Sea  Witch  —  a  ship  lost  fourteen  days  ago  to  the vast  Sargasso  Sea.

1 Comment

Filed under Hodgson, William Hope Hodgson

One response to “New Sargasso Sea story!

  1. Great story, in the spirit of Hodgson. Thanks.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s